Saturday, August 7, 2010

Welcome to Kazakhstan- Home of the apple

These are photos I took on a walk this evening. I walked around the big block that our apartment building is in, so they are all taken within 20 minutes of our apartment. The big tent looking thing is a indoor recreation area. I've been told there is a swimming pool in there, and it only cost $50 dollars to swim.
The school is only a ten minute walk from our apartment. I'm starting to get a feel for the city; there is a great coffee shop/English language book store about a ten minute drive away. Thry te driving is a little crazy; there are no left turn lights so it is kinda of every driver for themselves while trying to turn.
Most of my time so far has been spent preparing the classrooms. The school is moving to a new building this year so there is a lot of small things to take care of like making sure each classroom has a clock and trash can. We have also been interviewing people for teaching aid jobs.
I'll be teaching a couple of 10 year old (5th grade) classes in the morning and the afternoon will be spent on my admin duties. Nina will be teaching the 7 year old class in the morning and HS/MS art in the afternoon. She has the biggest classroom in the entire school (she also has the biggest class).
I'll try to post here more regularly this year. If you are lucky I might even post some summer pictures/videos if I get around to it.








No comments: