Friday, December 7, 2012

Skiing in Kyrgyzstan and the exploding chick


 It snowed a lot the week before we were supposed to leave on our trip. The drive to Karakol was already long, about 8 hours, and with the snow it was going to be 10-12 hours. John kindly suggested that I go and offered to stay home with Sadie since we had decided the drive was just TOO long for her.
 I don't have any pictures of the drive, but it was really beautiful. We passed through many small villages. The huts and houses in Kyrgyzstan are typically painted white and have light green or sky blue shutters, often with carvings or designs. I wish I had more pictures of them. We drove along the north side of the lake. Lake Issyk Kol is surrounded by mountains on either side and is the second largest alpine lake in the world after lake Titicaca.
 My camera isn't the best and it's hard to tell from the photos, but the lake is visible from the lift and from the higher runs. It is really a beautiful resort.





This is a random picture. I meant to just show John and I ended up inserting it in the selected photos. My AP students were playing with some egg yolks and decided to paint with them. They ended up collaborating on this really creative exploding chick. There are even some feathers glued into the explosion. It's hard to tell, but the yellow stuff stuck in the red paint is the egg yolk.

No comments: